Tuesday

Explore New England: Fryeburg, Maine

Jockey Cap Trail in Fryeburg, Maine is a quick hike for all levels. The mountain itself only stands 600 feet tall, but the view from above is stunning. When we began our hike, we were immediately presented with two options: the trail or the rock face. Looking for a bit of a challenge, we climbed the rock face and winded around the ledges. It was quite steep, but only took us about five minutes. We took some time at the top to take in the view before making our descent on the trail (making sure to avoid the rock face this time). 


Following our hike, we went to explore Hemlock Bridge. I lived in Denmark, Maine as a young child and spent summers with my grandparents. I have always remembered talk about an old covered bridge, but had no memory of ever seeing it myself. My grandparents have a painting of an old covered bridge with a boy playing fetch with his dog, and I convinced myself that this was the same bridge everyone was talking about. When we reached the turnaround on Hemlock Bridge Road, it was exactly what I had been picturing since childhood. The mosquitoes were hungry so we didn't stay long, but it was nice to finally see that bridge in person.