Tuesday

Explore New England: Phippsburg, Maine

A major advantage of living in Maine is how quick and easy it is to spend time with nature. Before moving to Bath, I had no idea that there would be so much we could do on our weekends without wasting hours in the car. When we moved here a year ago, people began to tell me about Morse Mountain. I was picturing this beautiful nature trail with a fresh water pool at the top. Overhanging branches and a stone beach where people would be having picnics and playing cards. When we began our hike, I realized I was way off base. As we followed the blocked off road a little ways, we made our way to a marsh. Having lived on Pine Point Road in Scarborough, this marsh made me incredibly nostalgic.
The view from inside the marsh

Sprague River overlook

When we reached a fork in the path, we went right to the Sprague River overlook. We then decided to go "off roading" and try to find a second (non-existent) trail. Thirty minutes later, covered head to toe in mosquito and horse fly bites, we returned to the road and continued our journey. Not long after, the road opened up to a gorgeous sandy beach. There was hardly anyone else there! I immediately recalled the words people had used to describe it to me, and the picture I had formed in my mind of the lake and trees began to morph, "It's a quick hike to a private beach," "It is stunning," "It's impossible to describe," all of their words were spot on, even though my impression had been different. We unpacked our picnic and enjoyed the sweet summer sunshine.